- James Fisher Strainstall secures Palace of Westminster instrumentation and monitoring contract
- James Fisher combines its asset monitoring capabilities under the new brand of James Fisher Strainstall
- James Fisher Strainstall signs collaborative agreement with L. Straatman BV
- James Fisher Strainstall appoints Kinetic Cold Technology as its agent for Malaysia
17 March 2014
James Fisher Strainstall provides load measurement solution
James Fisher Strainstall provides load measurement solution for stream generator installation.
- Supports the validation of a Andritz Hydro Hammerfest’s leading tidal turbine technology towards the realisation of commercial scale arrays
- High quality, in-house developed solutions using the proven technologies and capabilities of companies within the James Fisher group
- Developments that further underscore the commitment of James Fisher to the marine renewable sector
To support the commissioning and initial testing of the 100ft high 1MW Hammerfest Strom HS1000 tidal stream generator, recently installed on the seabed at the European Marine Energy Centre (EMEC) in Orkney, Scotland, James Fisher Strainstall (JF Strainstall) – a member of the James Fisher and Sons plc group – has provided specialist load measurement technology.
The innovative 1MW tidal stream generator was successfully installed at the EMEC in late 2011 and commissioned in the early months of 2012. This latest installation is being used as part of an enhanced commissioning exercise, to help validate that the technology can be used as part of the world’s first tidal turbine array in the Sound of Islay, for which planning consent has already been provided.
To achieve the level of control and monitoring required during the upcoming offshore operation, Hammerfest selected the JF Strainstall type 5200 tensile load link. Manufactured from high quality stainless steel, this product provides a high quality load cell capable of operation in the most arduous of environments.
Simon Everett, managing director at JF Strainstall, said:
“The JF Strainstall family of tensile load links are just one many products that we can offer to our partners in the offshore wind and marine renewable energy sectors. With the unprecedented increase in activity in the offshore wind, wave and tidal stream renewable energy resources around UK territorial waters, JF Strainstall – along with other James Fisher and Sons plc member companies – is able to provide customers in this sector with a comprehensive range of innovative products, services and enabling technologies based on our longstanding global expertise in marine engineering and subsea operations.”
Rupert Raymond, lead installation engineer Andritz Hydro Hammerfestat, also commented on the situation saying that:
“JF Strainstall’s immediate responsiveness and product availability has meant that we can achieve the assurance we need for this critical operation."