James Fisher Strainstall’s Chain Tension Monitoring System™ provides real-time data on anchor and hawser load tensions for all types of offshore structures, including turret and conventional spread-moored installations.
From basic stand-alone mooring load monitoring to comprehensive, integrated systems which monitor vessel draft, ballast, Metocean conditions, vessel loading and structural stress, James Fisher Strainstall (JF Strainstall) offers customers bespoke mooring monitoring solutions to suit specific customer requirements.
JF Strainstall’s CTMS™ systems are capable of monitoring multiple channels simultaneously, and provide a broad selection of archiving and analytical capabilities. The systems provide real-time data giving accurate indication of mooring loads to ensure they are not overloaded and stay within safe limits, with alarms to alert operators should tensions exceed pre-set limits.
Where applicable, direct load measurement is accomplished using specially designed load pins with hazardous area and subsea ratings as required. Manufactured from high-tensile stainless steel, and with dual bridge options, they have a design life of over 25 years and are installed in anchor legs using custom connection hardware.
Systems can be configured to interface directly with other onboard monitoring and control systems and can include:
- In-line (direct) measurement
- Bolt-on subsea sensors
- Inclination, trim and heel
- Custom monitoring software
- Systems integration
- Alarms and warnings
Departure angles can be measured using high-precision inclinometers enclosed in ruggedised subsea housings. Inclinometers can be used on internal or external turrets to determine the chain angle, which when combined with position and draft data, determines chain tension.
JF Strainstall’s strain rings provide exceptional sensitivity and can be used to monitor the chain tension in certain chain stopper designs. They can also be applied without unloading the mooring tension.
Benefits of JF Strainstall's Chain Tension Monitoring System™:
- Ensures the integrity of the anchor mooring system
- Provides the ability to calculate the fatigue life of the moorings and potentially extend the change out period
- Maintains effective mooring line tension feedback in real-time
- Ensures safety of personnel whilst vessels/offshore structures are moored
- Protects equipment and infrastructure
- Available in a variety of sensor options including in-line, bolt-on strain and angle monitoring
Features of Chain Tension Monitoring System™:
- Alarm facility informs operators whenever anchor tensions reach safe working limits
- Tension measurement capabilities exceed 500 tonnes
- Load pins are manufactured from stainless steel and have a design life of over 25 years
- Systems can be configured to interface directly with other monitoring and control systems
- User-friendly display screens
- Subsea rated signal cables with underwater mateable connectors
- Suitable for use in Zones 1 and 2
JF Strainstall recently supplied patented strain rings to Petrofac
“JF Strainstall were not only diligent, responsive and professional throughout our collaboration, but went above and beyond to overcome a host of technical challenges, ultimately ensuring that the project was delivered against the a demanding timeline”
-Ross Sutherland, Maintenance and integrity superintendent at Petrofac