Renewables structural health monitoring
Proactively supporting offshore renewables, JF Strainstall’s dynamic structural monitoring solutions improve operational safety and efficiency.
James Fisher Strainstall’s (JF Strainstall’s) structural wind energy monitoring systems enable focused remedial work. Saving time and resources, our solutions measure displacement, inclination, lateral erosion, oceanographic changes and component deterioration without the need for regular diver and ROV inspections.
Alarm-linked, real-time data immediately alerts operators to overload situations and to the possibility that structural stability may have been compromised. Improving safety offshore, JF Strainstall provides a full specialist support function that goes far beyond the remit of most other monitoring company capabilities. JF Strainstall has experience and expertise in the provision of structural health monitoring solutions for a wide range of offshore renewable structures, ensuring safe asset operation, risk reduction and cost-effective maintenance programmes.
As part of the James Fisher and Sons Plc group of companies, JF Strainstall has access to a variety of support services, including confined space support, diving and rope access teams and vessel support.
Our systems are designed to incorporate a modular network of data acquisition units (DAUs), sub-units and third-party systems. Each DAU receives multiple inputs from a variety of sensors distributed throughout the turbine foundation structure. The data processing system consists of a number of hardware servers which collect and store data received from the DAUs. The smart asset management system server displays the structural performance of the turbine and real-time monitoring of key predefined parameters, whilst the server will perform post-processing of the collected data.
Renewables structural monitoring benefits:
- Obtain structural response data under a variety of conditions to verify design model assumptions
- Investigate suspected structural problems and asses the effectiveness of structural remediation works
- Inform long-term, preventative maintenance decisions throughout assets’ operational lifetimes
- Extend assets’ lifetimes using engineering assessments based on fatigue life history
- Assure third-party investors of assets’ structural integrity
- Ensure value for potential future buyers using historic structural data.
- Satisfy necessary project certification
Renewables structural monitoring system features:
- Retrofit to existing operational assets
- Install onshore at fabrication yards or holding port facilities, followed by later connections and commissioning offshore