Swivel load monitoring
James Fisher Strainstall’s turret swivel load monitoring system monitors the levels of force or resistance to movement in the turret's swivel, providing early warning of any issues or potential failure, as well as enabling preventative maintenance to be scheduled.
Undertaking monitoring of the swivel stack is critical to help eliminate the risk of failures or loss of production, especially as there is usually no redundancy in the system itself. As failure of FPSO swivels is typically progressive - monitoring the forces, particularly in the driving arms, can provide an increasing load trend that will prompt maintenance intervention before critical deterioration occurs.
James Fisher Strainstall’s (JF Strainstall) swivel load monitoring system is suitable for all types of weathervaning FPSOs and can be easily retrofitted to provide advanced warning of any decline in the swivel function. The system uses load pins installed in the joint between the swivel body and driving arms, with the signals routed to either dedicated instrumentation or integrated into the FPSO's control system. Our load pins and amplifiers are intrinsically safe, so installation and maintenance does not require hot-work.
Benefits of JF Strainstall's swivel load monitoring system:
- Significantly reduces the risk of failure
- Provides advanced warning of any deterioration in swivel function
- Generates alarms to warn operators in the event that forces exceed safe limits
- Improves operational safety
Features of JF Strainstall's swivel load monitoring system:
- Suitable for all types of weathervaning FPSOs
- Can be retrofitted
- Uses proven JF Strainstall load cell technology
- Suitable for hazardous area use