Single point buoy monitoring
James Fisher Strainstall’s single point/CALM buoy monitoring system provides vessel masters and control room operators with real-time operational and environmental data required to manage buoy integrity and to make calculated operational decisions.
The integrated buoy monitoring system protects the mooring by ensuring it is not overloaded. This allows for safe transfer of product and reduces the risk of accidents, resulting in reduced down-time. Designed to ascertain the dominant Metocean conditions, our sensors provide critical information to ensure safe transfer operations.
Other parameters can also be included such as valve position, product pressure, flow rate, anchor chain loads, remote control fog horns and position monitoring systems which can be used to prevent collisions and aid a tanker’s approach when mooring.
Data from the all buoy-mounted systems can be integrated by onboard hardware into a consolidated signal sent by telemetry to both the tanker and on-shore control room to provide load readouts, alarms and logging facilities. Two-way communications are possible, providing the means to control on-buoy navigation lamps and foghorns.
A range of receiver devices can also be used, including dedicated hand-held devices for use within hazardous areas, and portable or integrated control room computers. If the area certification permits, we can even provide apps for use on tablets and smartphones.
Bespoke data integration:
- Current speed and direction
- Wave height and tide
- Metocean conditions
- Mooring hawser tension
- Buoy heave, pitch and roll
- Buoy position
- Flow-line pressure and flow rate
- Valve operation
- Navigation aids
- Zone I and II hazardous area telemetry
- Automatic identification system (AIS)
Single point/CALM buoy monitoring system benefits:
- Enables operators to take evasive action should loading exceed safe limits
- Provides environmental data required to manage buoy integrity
- Allows for safe transfer of product
- Low power requirements
- Solar-powered power systems available
- Fail-safe ATEX and IECEx compliant wireless communications available